Come enjoy the night sky from right here in Edwardsville! The SIUE Astronomy Viewing Sessions are open to the public on even-dated Thursdays after sunset at the William C. Shaw Skylab on the north edge of campus.
We will be open on Thursday, November 20th at 7pm. Please dress warmly!
Note: due to scheduling constraints, the Star Gazing Events are moving to THURSDAYS! The fall sessions are being hosted by Dr. Nicole Gugliucci, postdoctoral fellow with the SIUE STEM Center. Please call 618-650-1013 after 6pm on the day of the session to see if we are open, as bad weather and other schedule conflicts may occur. Our start time will be changing with the season, so see calendar below for times we are open.
Fall 2014 Dates and Times!
- September 6th, 7-10pm – Special #MoonNight Event at Annie’s Frozen Custard, Edwardsville
- September 18th, 8pm – OPEN
- October 3rd, 7:30pm (Note date change b/c calendar conflict) – CLOSED
- October 16th, 7:30pm – OPEN
- November 6th, 7pm – OPEN
- November 20th, 7pm – OPEN
- December 4th, 7pm
- December 18th, 7pm
Directions to the Shaw Skylab
Get written and photo directions to the William C. Shaw Sky Lab. You can also use Google Maps, but please note that the mobile version of Google Maps may give the wrong location. Visitors are encouraged to download and print/write down directions before leaving! (If you are on your way and believe you are lost, call 434-260-1731 for directions.)
At our sessions, you can:
- Take a constellation tour.
- Get a close-up view of the Moon and planets.
- See deep sky objects through one of our telescopes.
- Have your burning astronomy questions answered!
Current astronomical equipment in use features an 8-inch Celestron from the STEM Resource Center and a 90-mm Questar from the Physics Department . Bring binoculars or a telescope if you have them, but it’s not required. We do, however, encourage that you to bring:
- warm clothing, as nights can be unexpectedly chilly.
- tennis shoes.
- a flashlight, preferable with a red filter or red cellophane.
- bug spray.
- friends and family.
- star charts or maps.
- snacks and non-alcoholic beverages.
- a lawn chair or blanket.
Smoking and alcohol are prohibited at the observatory.
For other information on viewing sessions, including to pre-schedule group sessions, please contact Dr. Tom Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org or 618-650-3049, or Dr. Nicole Gugliucci at email@example.com or 618-650-1013.