The Star Parties are hosted by Dr. Tom Foster of the Physics Department who can be contacted at email@example.com or 618-650-3049. Star Parties are held every even-numbered Tuesday at 7:30pm (see our Google Calendar for specific dates). For more information, please see the Astronomical Viewing Sessions page at the Department of Physics.
Directions to the Shaw Skylab
Get written and photo directions to the William C. Shaw Sky Lab. You can also use Google Maps, but please note that the mobile version of Google Maps may give the wrong location. Visitors are encouraged to download and print/write down directions before leaving!
At our sessions, you can:
- Take a constellation tour.
- Get a close-up view of the Moon and planets.
- See deep sky objects through one of our telescopes.
- Have your burning astronomy questions answered!
Bring binoculars or a telescope if you have them, but it’s not required. We do, however, encourage that you to bring:
- warm clothing, as nights can be unexpectedly chilly.
- tennis shoes.
- a flashlight, preferable with a red filter or red cellophane.
- bug spray.
- friends and family.
- star charts or maps.
- snacks and non-alcoholic beverages.
- a lawn chair or blanket.
Smoking and alcohol are prohibited at the observatory.