I have thoroughly enjoyed running the Star Parties these past few years for the STEM Center and Department of Physics at SIUE. I am now saying a bittersweet goodbye as I head off for the next stage of my career. The star parties will continue under the direction of Dr. Tom Foster who can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or 618-650-3049. For more information, please see the Astronomical Viewing Sessions page at the Department of Physics.
– Dr. Nicole Gugliucci
Directions to the Shaw Skylab
Get written and photo directions to the William C. Shaw Sky Lab. You can also use Google Maps, but please note that the mobile version of Google Maps may give the wrong location. Visitors are encouraged to download and print/write down directions before leaving!
At our sessions, you can:
- Take a constellation tour.
- Get a close-up view of the Moon and planets.
- See deep sky objects through one of our telescopes.
- Have your burning astronomy questions answered!
Bring binoculars or a telescope if you have them, but it’s not required. We do, however, encourage that you to bring:
- warm clothing, as nights can be unexpectedly chilly.
- tennis shoes.
- a flashlight, preferable with a red filter or red cellophane.
- bug spray.
- friends and family.
- star charts or maps.
- snacks and non-alcoholic beverages.
- a lawn chair or blanket.
Smoking and alcohol are prohibited at the observatory.